Register   ·   Log in

£43m Chelsea defender turned down Barca

David Luiz says he rejected the Catalan club

By | 4th September 2013
david luiz

David Luiz revealed on Wednesday that he turned down a possible move to La Liga champions Barcelona this summer. The Brazilian center-back was linked with a transfer to the Catalan club throughout the summer but ended up staying at Stamford Bridge. Luiz missed Chelsea’s preseason tour of Asia, barely featured for the club during their trip to the United States, and has not made an appearance for the club yet this season.

Although Luiz’s lack of playing time was due to an injury, speculation arose that Chelsea may sell him to Barcelona as Goal.com confirmed the Spanish club submitted a £21.5 offer for the Brazilian. Chelsea, however, responded to the bid by telling Barcelona that Luiz would cost them £43 million, a price the Catalans were unwilling to pay for the center-back. Mourinho spoke out to send a message to Barcelona to make them aware that Luiz would not be sold and that they should move on to whoever else they were targeting at center-back.

“There was an official offer [from Barcelona] but I decided to stay at Chelsea,” Luiz told reporters, according to Goal.com.

“I am happy to play for a big club and be in the national team to represent my country.”

Chelsea have played three matches so far in the Premier League and have relied on the combination of John Terry and Gary Cahill in the middle of the defense so far. The pairing has done well as the club is yet to surrender a goal to any Premier League opponents, including when they faced Manchester United at Old Trafford.



Reader Comments

The below views are those of our readers and do not reflect the opinions of Premiership Talk or its employees.

You must be logged in to post a comment.