Just four months after American striker Brian Ching was selected by the Montreal Impact in the MLS Expansion draft, a deal had been reached between the clubs that will send the forward back to Houston in exchange for a first-round pick in the 2013 SuperDraft.
Ching is the Dynamo’s all-time leading goal scorer (63 goals in 168 games played) and played in Houston’s first ever game, recording four goals in that contest.
He has also led the club to three MLS Cup finals and two championships.
Ching never voiced any desire to leave Houston, but was selected by the Impact in the Expansion Draft when the Dynamo decided to leave him off the protected list.
He originally said he would never play for the club and would retire, but went back on his words and reported to camp last month.
“It’s been a long and difficult process over the last few months, but we’re happy that ultimately we got the right result and Brian will be a part of the club again,” said Dynamo president Chris Canetti in an interview with the official MLS website.
Reports are stating that Ching decided to re-work his contract and take a pay cut, but has been guaranteed a job in the Dynamo front office when he retires, which could be as early as the end of this season.
Canetti added: “For Brian, he’s in a place that he wants to be and will be a part of a lot of great things this year and the fans love him and will be happy to see him as part of the team again.”
Ching will rejoin the Dynamo at training on Thursday and will enjoy a happy homecoming with his club long after his playing days are over.