Chief executive David Gill has said he expects Manchester United to have an answer on the future of Carlos Tevez in June.
The Argentina international fired a parting shot at Old Trafford officials on Saturday in an interview with Argentinian station TYC when he accused the newly-crowned Premier League champions of lacking respect, adding he had been “badly treated” over his desire to win an extension to his two-year loan arrangement.
Tevez said: “I don’t have faith in a lot of things that happen here. I’ve been here for two years and the directors have never come to speak to me. Not once have I had a meeting with them.
“Therefore, it’s best that I leave the club so as not to clash with [the manager] Alex Ferguson and the directors. Neither do I understand why I don’t play in the team.”
The 25-year-old appeared to make a goodbye gesture when he was substituted in the goalless draw against Arsenal – the point secured United their third successive and record-equalling 18th domestic title – and the decision by manager Sir Alex Ferguson to withdraw Tevez was greeted by a chorus of boos.
Gill moved to appease bemused supporters by insisting he and Ferguson want Tevez to stay and that he was striving to secure an agreeable deal.
A new offer for Tevez, in the region of £25m, would give United full ownership of the fans’ favourite and Gill revealed: “The actual situation will be cleared up in early June and without a doubt we will look at it.
“We will assess the squad. He has done very well, come on and made an impact in some crucial games and we would like him to stay, but the actual economic situation needs to be clarified.”
Nick Walsh writes features and betting previews for Betfair.